What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan is a FREE service that the Law Library arranges through agreements with other libraries to provide access to materials that we may not have in our own collection for academic use.
ILL pulls materials first from the Law Library. If the material cannot be found here, then the search extends to the Lee Library and to other libraries after. It is rare for materials not to be available through this process.
How To Make A Request
How to Make a Request
- Go to https://lib.byu.edu/account/request/
- Click on Login in the upper right corner
- Sign in using your BYU NetID
- Click the icon next to your name in the upper right corner then select Request an Item from the drop down menu.
- Click on the Request an item button.
- Click on the Item Type you would like to request.
- Fill in the required information
- Click “Submit Request” at the bottom of the page
Items Not Available Through ILL
The Law Library will not request materials that are available from the Law Library or Lee Library. This includes items on course reserve and all other non-circulating items.
- Requests for textbooks, casebooks, or any other required book will be cancelled.
- Requests for fiction, non-fiction, etc. that are owned by the Lee Library but currently checked out will be cancelled. Please place a hold through your library account for these items.
- The Law Library will only fill one duplicate request per person.
Still Have Questions?
Set up an appointment with Melanie, who is the Access Services Librarian; she will be able to help you navigate through the ILL process and help you obtain the materials you need.
In most cases we are able to obtain the items you need, but occasionally some items cannot be sent physically. The Access Services Librarian will work with you to reach a solution. There are many other specific items that can be scanned and obtained rather than entire publications, textbooks, or print including:
- Journal Articles
- Book Chapters
- Page Requests
- Materials Cited in Footnotes
- Print Publications
- Table of Contents
- CD’s, DVD’s, etc.
Melanie Coleman—Access Services Librarian
Feel free to set up an appointment with Melanie if you have any questions about ILL.