The Law Library subscribes to a number of general and legal newspapers. These newspapers are available in the faculty lounge on the fourth floor and in the Rex E. Lee Room. After one week, newspapers are moved to the Reserve Library where they are kept for an additional six months.
The Law Library subscribes to a growing number of electronic databases (A full list of our electronic databases is available here.). Law Library staff is available to provide training on the use of these electronic resources. To request training, please contact Iantha Haight at (801) 422-9023 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Law Library subscribes to an online version of the Current Index to Legal Periodicals (CILP). CILP distributes the titles of articles from the table of contents of new law reviews. These title lists are organized by subject, and can be customized to specific preferences (SmartCILP). CILP is distributed weekly in both print and email formats.
CILP is a current awareness tool prepared by the law librarians and staff of the Marian Gould Gallagher Law Library of the University of Washington School of Law. CILP indexes over 500 legal publications, which are organized within 100 relevant subject headings. A complete table of contents is provided for all journals that are indexed, and citations are in Bluebook form.
- More information regarding CILP is available at http://lib.law.washington.edu/cilp/cilp.html.
- For a complete list of all journals indexed, click here.
- SmartCILP is a fee-based service that provides automated personalized e-mail delivery of CILP. Electronic subscribers continue to get the full text of CILP each week. After setting up a SmartCILP profile, subscribers receive an additional e-mail message each week that focuses only on the subject headings and journals they selected. This e-mail message is clearly marked as “SmartCILP” to allow easy identification and review of results. SmartCILP profiles can be changed each week, allowing subscribers to tailor the delivery of CILP to their changing research needs.
- To create (or modify an existing) SmartCILP profile, contact your library liaison.
Both LexisNexis and Westlaw offer electronic clipping services. LexisNexis’ Alert and Westlaw’s Westclip can be customized to run specific searches at various times and in various databases. The results can be accessed online or emailed. For assistance contact your library liaison.
SSRN is an online archive of social science research, available for free on the Internet. The Law Library has a site license that allows faculty to receive email announcements of working papers and articles on many topics from American law schools. The Library can also assist faculty who wish to add their current scholarship to the SSRN repository. For assistance, please contact Annalee Hickman at (801) 422-3596 or by email.
A variety of email alert services and moderated listservs are available to help faculty keep abreast of current developments. To request email updates for any of the following please contact your liaison:
Bloomberg Law News including The United States Law Week and BNA Law Reports on a variety of topics – contact your liaison for further information
CCH (Commerce Clearing House): Business & Finance, Health and Human Resources, Tax – contact your liaison for further information
Law Faculty Listservs by subject, e.g., CONLAWPROF@listerv.ucla.edu
LSN (Legal Scholarship Network)
LexisNexis new content announcements
U.S. Supreme Court Decisions
Westlaw new content announcements
- Newspaper summaries, e.g., Wall Street Journal or Washington Post;
- Periodical summaries, e.g., Time Magazine; or
- Recent Court Case Summaries, e.g., 10th Circuit Court of Appeals or Utah