EFFECTIVE until further notice
While the law building is closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Law Library is offering many services virtually.
Limited Special Access:
In the event we cannot meet your research needs virtually, one-time access may be granted on a case-by-case basis. We invite patrons who have a need for on-site library access to contact Reference Services (firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-422-6658).
Circulating materials may be obtained through Document Delivery as described below.
Virtual Services Available:
Checking Out Materials
Eligible patrons may check out books and other library materials, including government documents. Please call the circulation desk for assistance (801-422-3593). Requests may also be submitted by emailing Melanie Coleman at email@example.com. Please include your name, BYU ID number, and the title and/or call number for the materials you would like to check out.
Attorneys may check out CDs for CLE credits. They simply need to coordinate their account, what they need, and the time they will pick it up with firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checked Out Materials
Contact the circulation desk for questions regarding checked-out books (including overdues) at: email@example.com or 801-422-3656. Due dates can be extended and overdue fines forgiven.
For materials that do not circulate, please contact Melanie Coleman at: 801-422-3656 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Document Delivery is available for all patrons while the library is closed. Patrons can request copies of journal articles or book chapters. Submit requests to Melanie Coleman at email@example.com. Please provide the book title/journal title and the chapter, article, or specific pages you would like scanned.
- This service is only available from materials in the Law Library’s print collection
- Requests must be copyright compliant
- Requests may take up to 24 hours to be delivered
- Requests that are submitted after 3 p.m. on Friday will be processed on the following Monday
The following reference services are offered to all patrons while the Law building is closed.
The hours that reference services are available virtually are listed here. Virtual reference options include:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Chat: To chat with a librarian, visit this page and scroll to the bottom. If no one is available to chat, it will direct you to a form that will go to the email email@example.com.
- Phone: (801) 422-6658
- Zoom: For a video chat reference meeting with a librarian through Zoom, email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
Reference Desk and Reference Office
Until further notice, the physical reference desk on the main floor of the BYU Law Library is closed for the safety of the reference employees. However, the Reference Office is open for in-person reference services if you are a BYU Law student or faculty member. See the hours for this service here. The BYU Law community may also make appointments to receive in-person reference services with a law librarian by emailing email@example.com.
Westlaw Patron Access
- See this law library blog post for information about how to access Westlaw while the Law building is closed.
If you have trouble accessing electronic resources, contact Iantha Haight (firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-422-9023).