EFFECTIVE June 1 – July 31, 2021
Access to the Law Library for the general public will resume on August 2, 2021. Information about the many services offered virtually to all patrons is provided below.
Patrons of the Law Library are expected to comply with the BYU Covid-19 policies (see https://www.byu.edu/coronavirus/ ).
Virtual Services Available to All Patrons
While the Law building is closed, most law library services are available virtually to all patrons.
Checking Out Materials
Eligible patrons may check out books and other library materials, including government documents. Please call the circulation desk for assistance (801-422-3593). Requests may also be submitted by emailing Melanie Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, BYU ID number, and the title and/or call number for the materials you would like to check out.
Attorneys may check out CDs for CLE credits. They simply need to coordinate their account, what they need, and the time they will pick it up with email@example.com.
Checked Out Materials
Contact the circulation desk for questions regarding checked-out books (including overdues) at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-422-3656. Due dates can be extended and overdue fines forgiven.
For materials that do not circulate, please contact Melanie Coleman at: 801-422-3656 or email@example.com.
Document Delivery is available for all patrons while the library is closed. Patrons can request copies of journal articles or book chapters. Submit requests to Melanie Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the book title/journal title and the chapter, article, or specific pages you would like scanned.
- This service is only available from materials in the Law Library’s print collection
- Requests must be copyright compliant
- Requests may take up to 24 hours to be delivered
- Requests that are submitted after 3 p.m. on Friday will be processed on the following Monday
The following reference services are offered to all patrons while the Law building is closed.
The hours that reference services are available virtually are listed here. Virtual reference options include:
- Email: email@example.com
- Online Chat: To chat with a librarian, visit this page and scroll to the bottom. If no one is available to chat, it will direct you to a form that will go to the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Phone: (801) 422-6658
- Zoom: For a video chat reference meeting with a librarian through Zoom, email email@example.com to make an appointment.
The physical reference desk is still closed for in-person reference services due to the low traffic of BYU Law community patrons in the summer. If you are a BYU Law student or faculty member, you may make an appointment to receive in-person reference services with a law librarian by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Westlaw Patron Access
- See this law library blog post for information about how to access Westlaw while the Law building is closed.
If you have trouble accessing electronic resources, contact Iantha Haight (email@example.com or 801-422-9023).