BYU Pharos Printers
BYU students use the BYU Pharos printing system with their BYU ID cards.
Patrons who are not BYU students may use the Pharos system to print with a Courtesy Card. Courtesy Cards may be purchased at the Circulation Desk. These reusable cards cost $1.00, and come pre-loaded with a $.50 balance. You may always deposit more money onto your reusable card. There are several ways additional funds can be added to Courtesy Cards. Circulation clerks can make deposits with cash or checks. Credit card deposits can be completed by using this BYU webpage and following the instructions.
There is a color printer in the law school for student and community use. This printer is a BYU Pharos printer (named BYU Public Color), and it works like the other BYU Pharos printers across campus. It is on the third floor of the law library near the Rex E. Lee room. There is actually a BYU Public Color printer and a BYU Public B&W printer there. There is also a BYU Public B&W printer (but not a color printer) in the following additional location: on the second floor (the ground floor) of the law library by the reference desk.
Anyone can print from one of the public computers in the law library on the second floor (the ground floor).
To print to one of the Pharos printers from your own computer, you must download the BYU Pharos Printer drive.
- Go to software.byu.edu.
- If prompted, enter your BYU net ID and password.
- Under the “Vendors” heading, click the “Pharos” link.
- Click the “Download Now” button that corresponds with your computer’s operating system.
- Click the plus sign button that corresponds with your computer’s operating system.
- Click “Continue” to download the program.
- Once the printer drive is downloaded to your computer, the BYU Public Color printer will be available in your print dialogue box when selecting a printer. (The BYU Public B&W printer will also be available.)
To print to the BYU Public Color printer or the BYU Public B&W printer:
- From the File menu of your document, select Print.
- From the drop-down menu on the Print dialogue box, select BYU Public Color to print all the pages in your document on a color printer, or select BYU Public B&W to print all the pages in your document on a black and white printer. Click “Ok.”
- A window will pop up asking your net ID and a name for the print job; enter that information and click “Print.” Your print job is then sent to a print queue that you can access from any printing release station on campus.
- To print in color at the law school, go to the printing room on the 3rd floor of the law library.
- Swipe your BYU ID card at the printing release station, and follow the instructions on the screen in order to select and print your job.
- These two BYU public printers, and the cost associated with printing to them, are in no way affiliated or connected with the BYU Law Co-Op printing.
- When you download the BYU Pharos Printer drive, you will be downloading both the BYU Public Color printer and the BYU Public B&W printer.
- The cost of one sheet from the color printer, regardless of whether it actually has color on it, is $0.15.
- The cost of one sheet from the black and white printer is $0.07.
- The BYU Public Color printer and the BYU Public B&W printer share a screen at the printing release station in the 3rd floor printing room in the law library. This screen is used to swipe your BYU ID card and select the job(s) to print. However, the BYU Public Color printer and the BYU Public B&W printer are two separate printers. Because there is no way to select between the two printers from the printing release station, your document will print from the printer you selected on your computer. The cost for that document will depend on the printer you chose from your computer, not on whether it has color. (For example, if you print a black and white document on the BYU Public Color printer, you will be charged $0.15 per page. There are no refunds for mistakes.)
- Double-sided printing is considered the same as printing two pages and is charged accordingly.
- When you swipe your BYU ID at the printing release station and subsequently select a job to print, the cost is automatically deducted from the money on your BYU ID card. You can add money to your BYU ID card through Cougar Cash.